Stryper frontman Michael Sweet reveals what it took for him to “make it”

Photo by Rob Ellis

Stryper frontman Michael Sweet reveals what it took for him to “make it”

People may think that it was easy to make it in the music business back in the ’80s but even bands such as Stryper who experienced platinum success (with their 1986 album To Hell With The Devil) had to pay their dues and the band members had to learn and master their songwriting and playing skills before achieving “success”.

Photo by Rob Ellis

The following message was posted on Sweet‘s Facebook page earlier today:

“How did I “make it”?

I worked while I was in high school. I worked at a liquor store after school for part of life and I worked loading catering trucks before school for part of my life.

I’d save my money to buy equipment and to pay for demos. Every opportunity I had to be in the studio I would take it. Whether it was with my dad or with my brother/band, I loved being in the studio and learning as much as I possibly could. I still do.

I would immediately go to the rehearsal room (two car garage) after school and write songs every single day. I’d work on my writing and playing skills from 3 o’clock in the afternoon till late at night every single day.

I rehearsed every day. Music was my life. Music is my life.

The funny thing is I never did it to make it. I did it because I loved it. It was every bit a part of me as eating and breathing. It still is.

I know that God played a big part in my success but it also takes hard work and discipline. God will do 10% of it, and you have to do the other 90%.

Many people think that being a musician is a glamorous life and everything is handed to you on a silver platter. That could not be further from the truth. It’s one of the hardest jobs in the world. Mentally and physically. But it helps if you love your job. I love my job.

Whatever you do, do it with passion. Give it all that you’ve got and just when you think that’s enough, do more. That’s what will make you stand out and rise to the occasion.

Once you get there, enjoy the ride. Smile. Stay humble. Remember your roots and also remember that it can all be taken away from you as quickly as it was given to you.

Ask God to bless what you do and He will.


Stryper‘s “Transgressor” video: